Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Movie Review: Rock of Ages, That's My Boy

I'm back friends!! I apologize I've been gone for so long, but I got a new job and been busy with school. But now that I'm back on here, I will do my best to keep more up to date with my posts. I got a new job working at a local radio station here in Omaha, and I'm having the time of my life! One thing I love about my job is the fact that I've been able to screen a couple movies that aren't even out yet. The last two days, I've screened Rock of Ages and That's My Boy. So if you want to know if you should go out and spend money at the box office this weekend, read on. (Spoiler Free)

Hairspray, Mamma Mia, Rent, what do these Broadway plays turned Hollywood films all have in common? They're all awful! But if there is one musical that stands above the rest of them and makes you want to jump up, dance, and head bang to some of the greatest '80s tunes ever assembled, it's Rock of Ages. Of all musical films, Rock of Ages has one of the best cast ensembles with some of the best music ever put together. Starring Tom Cruise, Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Catherine Zeta Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, and Mary J. Blige, it's a movie about sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. Music from bands including Journey, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Pat Benatar, REO Speedwagon, and many more. Julianne Hough and Diego Boneta play two young artists who move to L.A. to become famous rock stars. They both find jobs at one of L.A.'s biggest bars where they meet and fall in love. Along their adventure they cross paths with Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) who resembles a very Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses) like character, Paul Gill (Paul Giamatti), who is Jaxx's manager, and Patricia Whitmore (Catherine Zeta Jones) who is a God-fearing politician who vows to shut down the infamous bar and Stacee Jaxx. This movie tells the story of falling in love, losing the one you love, and finding each other again in the future, no matter what separate paths the two main characters take. Not only is it their love for each other that prevails, but their love for Rock n Roll that brings everything full circle. First off, this movie is hysterical. The chemistry between all the actors is spot-on and it shows greatly between the dialogue. Though I often find myself hesitant to sit through a movie in which great music can be easily butchered by singers you would normally find on American Idol, I was surprised by how great these songs are authentic to the original with a hint of personal style by each of the actors. On that note, all actors sang and recorded their music, and all of them sound great. Even Alec Baldwin, who gets slight help from computers and possibly auto-tone, does a great job. This movie is hilarious, fun, and perfect for a date night with the significant other. Spend money on this movie this weekend when it is officially released on Friday, June 15.

Rock of Ages = 3 out of 4 stars.

I'm sure many of you can agree when I say that I have just about had enough of Adam Sandler. After Anger Management in 2003, his movies started a downward spiral. They slowly went from decent and chuckle funny to down right miserable and found myself watching the same style of movie over and over. After the Longest Yard in 2005, Adam Sandler didn't have a decent movie until 2012, with That's My Boy. Sandler spent the last few years working on more family friendly films and strayed away from the films that made Sandler as popular as he is, such as Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, and Big Daddy. Adam Sandler stars in his first R-rated comedy since the not-so-funny comedy, Funny People, in 2009. Unlike Funny People, in this movie, the gloves come off, the jokes boldly go where not too many comedians and film makers have gone before. From the opening credits, this movie is in your face with raunchy, nasty jokes until the ending credits, and it never lets up. Being in a theatre filled with both men and women, I heard women laughing even more than men. I was either surrounded by perverts in the theatre or this movie somehow appeals to everyone in the older demographic. Adam Sandler plays an infamous child star, who received his fame in the 7th grade when he seduces and starts a sexual relationship with his stunningly hot math teacher. Once their relationship is discovered, the teacher is sentenced to 30 years in jail, and Sandler's character gets book deals, movie deals, fame and fortune. Years later, Sandler is a washed up, broke low life who faces prison time if he doesn't pay 50 thousand dollars in back taxes. In order to get the money in time, he must convince his grown up, successful son (Andy Samberg) to go to the prison with him and reunite with his incarcerated mother, who is the math teacher that Sandler impregnated. Though the storyline is weak, and many situations in the movie are completely over the top, this movie is enjoyable and will keep you laughing hysterically from beginning to end. There is a lot of drug references, sexual content, nudity, and LOTS of alcohol consumption. To sum it up, it's awesome! If your an Adam Sandler skeptic and contemplating spending money on this movie, I would say go for it. It's not the greatest movie ever made by far, but if you need a good laugh, That's My Boy will not disappoint. That's My Boy will also be out on June 15.

That's My Boy = 2.5 out of 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment